Saturday, June 13, 2009

Personal Insight of the Cycling Trip At Desaru


When I think back last weekend’s cycling at Desaru, I can still see the fleeting glimpses of images rolling behind my wheels:-

  • The beautiful sunrise when we board the ferry at Changi Ferry Terminal for our journey to Tanjong Berlungkor, on the eastern part of Johor, Malaysia.

  • The strangers we met and talk to along the way

  • The long and lonely road, rolling up and down, void of traffic

  • The endless rows and rows of palm trees on both sides of the road

  • The stares of the local residents when we arrived at the small town of Sungei Rengit, thinking that Singaporean got better nothing to do or they must be "gila" (mad).

  • The wonderful sight of Tanjong Berlunkor Ferry Terminal on the second day, after two days of strenuous ride covering a distance of about 130 km.

It’s a wild ride, at least for me, I don’t know about the others.

I am a virgin, as far as cycling in Desaru is concern. There were seven of us, age ranging from mid 40s to early 60s. I am in-between hitting 50 this year.

We have to slog up endless slopes and plummet back down the other side along the long and winding road.

We got roasted by the unfathomable heat on the first day, until I ask myself – “What the hell am I doing?”

We got soaked and trashed by the torrential rain, on the second day that I asked myself again – “Am I mad or what?”

And yet, through it all, when on the second day I arrived at the end point, I know that I have at least pushed myself to the fullest and taken advantage to enjoy every moment that I have, despite all the hardship and the pain and make it to the end safe and sound.

Thank God for that.

Yes – it was a challenge, there were times where I wanted to stop and give up.

We battled strong headwinds and fought for every inch of forward motion we managed to make, in spite of the ache that is in our thighs and buttocks.

We kept pushing ourselves against what appeared to be an impossible slope in the extraordinary heat only to face another slope waiting for us.

I suppose this is how life is, when you think you have cleared an obstacle; overcome some life crisis, unknowingly, another is waiting for you.

I personally have achieved a few milestones even though I never aimed for it at the first place. I am just glad that I am able to complete this grueling ride that weekend.

Chew Gek Cheng

No comments: